Section 29.21 Non-commercial User-generated Content
Sometimes referred to as the mash-up provision.
- Allows using copyright protected content to make new content.
This users right is available to everyone and is not restricted to education use or purposes.
It does have a few conditions:
- Non-commercial purpose
- Include credit to the original work
- The work or subject matter used does not infringe copyright
- No adverse effect on the original
What does this mean?
If you create a video of student events at a campus and want to use some background music in your video you can as long as:
- The copy of the music used is not an infringing copy,
- you give credit for the use of the song; include a credit page at the end of the video that credits the performer, songwriter and publisher,
- your work will not compete with or affect the sales of the original work,
- you are not going to sell the video or use the video to sell a product (non-commercial).