Banner Image

Copyright @ NSCC

Copyright information for NSCC faculty, staff and students.


You can play in the classroom when:

  • it is for educational purposes
  • it is shown on the premises of the educational institution (including an online classroom)
  • it is a legally acquired copy
  • the audience is primarily students or instructors
  • must be not-for-profit

A legal copy can be:

  • borrowed from the library
  • rented from a video store
  • purchased
  • web-based content posted by the copyright owner or with permission of the copyright owner

You cannot :

  • make a copy of an audiovisual work and show it.
  • show subscription based content (ie Netflix) if the terms of use statement in the license agreement limits access to personal use.

Non Education Purpose

For information about playing music for noneducational purposes please read the information on the SOCAN and Re:Sound tab.

Copyright Act RSC 1985, c-42, s 29.5

Section 29.21  Non-commercial User-generated Content
Sometimes referred to as the mash-up provision.

  • Allows using copyright protected content to make new content.

This users right is available to everyone and is not restricted to education use or purposes.

It does have a few conditions:

  • Non-commercial purpose
  • Include credit to the original work 
  • The work or subject matter used does not infringe copyright
  • No adverse effect on the original

What does this mean?

If you create a video of student events at a campus and want to use some background music in your video you can as long as:

  • The copy of the music used is not an infringing copy,
  • you give credit for the use of the song; include a credit page at the end of the video that credits the performer, songwriter and publisher,
  • your work will not compete with or affect the sales of the original work,
  • you are not going to sell the video or use the video to sell a product (non-commercial).