Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What is TutorMe?
TutorMe is an online tutoring service for NSCC students.
- You can connect with qualified tutors, 24/7
- Tutors are experts in over 300 subjects and available in 30 languages
- You can access this service via chat, video or audio in real time
- NSCC students get 8 hours a month of free tutoring in TutorMe. Hours renew at midnight the 1st of each month.
- Students are billed in 15 minute increments after 5 minutes. For example, if you use 6 minutes, you are billed for 15.
How do I access TutorMe?
To access TutorMe, you will need to login to Brightspace and enter your username (W#) and password. From there, you can get to it in 2 ways:
1. From your Brightspace Homepage, click on the TutorMe link in the menu bar.
2. From within a course, click on the TutorMe link in the menu bar.
Once you are in TutorMe, choose the service you need:
- Connect with a Live Tutor
- Writing Lab: get writing help
Connect with a Live Tutor
Before you start, here are some tips for finding a good tutor match:
- Come prepared with a specific issue, problem or assignment.
- If the Topic you type in does not find results, go to a broader category. For example, if you’re looking for a tutor to help with Balance Sheet Reconciliations, choose Accounting. You’ll have a chance to be more specific in your description.
- Describe your problem in as much detail as possible. The description field can hold 50 characters!
- Whenever possible, upload your assignment or a screen shot of the problem you are working on.
Once you are in TutorMe, select Connect with a Live Tutor:
1. Choose a subject from a dropdown menu OR type in a topic
2. Provide any additional information about your problem or assignment
- Within 60 seconds you'll be directed to a tutor with experience in your topic
- Once a tutor has been selected, you enter a "waiting room" where you have 2 minutes to determine if the tutor is a good match without using any of your 8 hour monthly allotment. If the tutor is not a good fit, you can go back and match with a different tutor.
- You can "favourite" tutors and request them again.
- Once you are assigned a tutor, you'll meet in the lesson space where you can use chat, video or audio in real time.
About the Lesson Space
- When you enter the Lesson Space, audio/video turned off by default.
- Your tutor will lead the session
- You can activate the screen sharing button – for example, to demo software - this will help the tutor better understand your issue.
- You can turn on audio and/or video if you like. Or just use chat.
- The Lesson Space has a graphing calculator, math equations, code editor, and a text editor.
- Live sessions with your tutor are recorded and you can access recordings any time.
You can work with a tutor one or more times a month for up to 8 hours, free.
Writing Lab: get writing help
Once you are in TutorMe, select Writing Lab:
- Select I understand to indicate you know this is a "Drop Off Paper Review" service only
- Provide information about your paper
- Upload your paper. It has to be a MS Word document.
- Within 12 hours, a subject-specific tutor will review it and return it with comments.
- The tutor does not make changes in the paper.
- You can request a live tutor session when the paper is returned.
A student is charged 5 minutes for every 1500 characters. This would include the title page and bibliography. There is also 10 minutes applied for overall feedback/review, regardless of the length of the paper. They guarantee a 24 hour turnaround time but often get it back to a student before then.
- No special equipment -- You only need internet access to use this service, no special software is required. A camera or microphone is optional if you want video- or audio-conferencing. A quick plugin is required to allow the tutor to share their screen with you.
- Remote access -- NSCC Students can access the service from on or off campus.
- Recommended browser -- Chrome is recommended.
- Mobile device compatible -- TutorMe is compatible with all tablets, native IOS and android apps. It can be used on mobile devices, but it is only chat-based for mobile.