Live Help is an online chat-based reference service being provided by Novanet libraries. Live Help is designed to respond to brief questions that can be answered quickly and effectively using online resources.
We've provided the Live Help widget in this guide. If you need assistance locating information or using the library services, just type your question into the chat window and a Novanet Library Staff member will be there to help! Amazing!
You can find information about Live Help's hours of operation here.
This guide is intended to support faculty and staff working and teaching in Brightspace. NSCC Library Services offers a wide variety of information resources and services, many of which can embed easily and seamlessly into the Brightspace environment. Such as:
The pages of this guide will walk users through the steps required to add high quality information to your online or blended course.
For assistance locating and integrating resources, please contact Leigh Gagnier, Electronic Services Librarian: email@example.com. Or go to the Contact Us page of this guide for a list of Campus Libraries and Library Staff.
Library Assignments –tips for faculty.
George Brown College. (n.d.).
Creating Effective Library Assignments: A Guide for Instructors.
By University of New Brunswick Libraries. (n.d.).
Building Students' Research Skills Through Online Learning.
University of Toronto instructor Shafique Virani discusses how he worked collaboratively with Liaison Librarians and course staff to build engaging learning modules that were targeted to grow and develop student research skills.
Why is it important for faculty to learn about integrating library resources into Online Courses?
1. Purchased High quality, current authoritative content that supports curriculum.
2. Electronic Resources in multiple formats – Streaming video, electronic journals, ebooks.
3. Copyright Compliant – Licensed access to library resources for NSCC faculty, staff & students.
4. Equal Access - All students have access to the same services and resources
5. Time efficient – Can be quicker then searching the web for information.
6. Research skills – Provides opportunities for students to learn and apply research skills.
7. Lifelong learning – Libraries are key partners in communities in promoting learning & literacy; by encouraging students to use and feel comfortable with library resources at NSCC, we provide students with tools and willingness to use public libraries, bring their families, friend children there, engage with community learning resources outside of school.